||Here's the end result, complete with lights
inside the birdseye maple handrail.
||Using a CAD package, I built the staircase,
newel, landings, and handrail. Then I started filling in the
balustrade with curvy wrought iron to see how it looked best. This
was a 3D model, so I could examine it from multiple angles to see which
way looked best overall. To the left is the winner - click to
||Here is the original CAD drawing of the proposed
Wrought-Iron balustrade. These are the plans that I gave to the
railing folks, along with a crude life-sized plywood mock-up to locate all
of the mounting points. If you click on the image, you'll see an
enlargement and drastic improvement in the line drawing. The plans
that I printed actually had dimensions everywhere, but this is more
realistic. I also gave them a printed actual sized curvy baluster on
four sheets of paper taped together. This was used as the template
in the actual fabrication of the balusters.
||Otto is the railing guy who bent each of the
balusters with a keen eye. That's a single baluster that he is
making many little bends on with that hand bending machine. Only 10 more to go, Otto!
This isn't his normal kind of work, but I think he would be pleased with
the installed result.
||For the handrail, I figured I'd continue on
the birdseye theme, and also I wanted to string rope lights inside
the handrail (you can see the glow at left), so obviously this was going
to be custom also. Click on the image to enlarge.
||To create it, I started with a nice scrap
1" thick by about 5" wide board, ripped pieces off the sides,
and then joined them to the original large piece. The result is
"book matched" grain - perfectly matched grain symmetry on
either side of the glue line. If you click on the image and study
the enlargement, the glue line becomes clear, and you can see the symmetry.
||The pieces that folded under are small enough
so that it left a 1" recess for the lights. It's too hard to
take a picture of this accurately, but the effect is pretty nice - like a